Do you have a job?
Not many people with disabilities have jobs, but many want to work.
We think that if DSPs had the right training, they could help more people with disabilities find good jobs.
We want to know if the right training helped DSPs help people with disabilities find good jobs.
Step 1: DSPs said they helped about 5 people find jobs in the past year.
Step 2: Then we gave DSPs training on the best ways to help people with disabilities get good jobs.
Here is what the DSPs learned at the training:
- DSPs need to know what you like to do.
- DSPs need to know what things you are good at doing.
- DSPs need to talk to your family and friends.
- DSPs need to spend time with you at work and other places in the community.
- DSPs learned how to find jobs.
- DSPs learned how to talk to employers about making jobs for you.
- DSPs learned how to match you with the right job.
- DSPs learned to tell employers about your support needs.
- DSPs learned to help you and the employer have a good relationship.
Step 3: One year after the training, we asked DSPs to tell us how many people with disabilities they helped find good jobs.
Show this to people who can make your life better
- Show your DSP
- Show your family
- Show your supervisor at work
Show this to people who can make life better for lots of people with disabilities
- Show agency directors
- Show people in government
- Show policy makers
Here are places DSPs can get training to help people with disabilities get jobs:
- Direct Course: College of Employment Services
- Direct Course: College of Direct Support: Employment Supports: Exploring Individual Preferences and Opportunities for Job Attainment
- A DSP can also work to get a special credential in employment. It’s called DSP-Specialist-Employment Supports.
Who did this knowledge translation?
This knowledge translation was created by the Research and Training Center on Community Living at the Institute on Community Integration, University of Minnesota.
Who did this research?
- Institute on Community Inclusion, University of Massachusettes Boston
- Research and Training Center on Community Living at the Institute on Community Integration, University of Minnesota
- Connecticut Department of Developmental Services
Who wrote the report?
Alberto Migliore, John Butterworth, Derek Nord, and Amy Gelb
What is the title of the report?
Improving Job Development Through Training and Mentorship
Where can I find the full report?
You can find the the full report at this website:
Where can I find information about the training used in this research?
Effective Training for Employment Consultants: Job Development and Support Strategies
Migliore, A., Butterworth, J., Nord, D., & Gelb, A. (2011). Improving job development through training and mentorship. Research to Practice Brief, Issue No. 51. Boston, MA: University of Massachusetts Boston, Institute for Community Inclusion.